An SSL certificate creates a secure link between a website and a visitor’s browser. By ensuring all data between the two remains private and secure, SSL encryption prevents hackers from stealing private information such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, passwords, and more.
SSL certificates are kind of like seat belts for your website. You may not know this, but at first seat belts were optional equipment on cars, and then as years and laws passed, everyone agreed in the importance of their use. Right now, an SSL certificate is optional for websites that aren’t selling products, but we feel it won’t be long before they become “standard equipment.” Because who doesn’t want to keep out hackers and have a better chance to be on page one of a browser search?
Do you use Google Chrome? 64% of internet users do. A couple of years ago Google decided to encourage SSL use by labeling all sites without this certificate as “Not Secure.” That doesn’t exactly send the right kind of message to the users of your website, especially if that website represents a business.
To recap, an SSL certificate:
- Protects Data – At its core an SSL certificate protects the communication between your site’s server and your site’s users.
- Verifies identity – It confirms that the website is who they say they are
- Offers better search engine ranking – Google and other search engines rank secure websites higher in search results than ones that are not SSL certified.
- Helps you satisfy PCI/DSS requirements – In other words, if you take payments on your website an SSL is required.
- Google Chrome, used by 64% of internet users, flags websites that do not have an SSL certificate and labels those sites “Not Secure.”
- Adds a padlock icon to the left of your website’s URL, assuring your website users of your site’s security.
At this point, we bet you’re dying to know: Yes, Marketing Tech offers SSL Certificates as part of our hosting packages. Get in touch with us below to find out more. And head on over to learn about our Website Capabilities.
Be sure to follow us on social!